Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Analyze and discuss Desmond Morris’s claim that even apparently altruistic behavior is genetically self-interested.

Doing this lesson, I was certain that there is no way that any behavior I have is self-interested. But yet again, I was wrong. My genes and yours are interested in survival, thus therefore are selfish. Evolution and life itself is heartless, mindless, and cruel. But how can this be? Everything we see in life is so magnificent. It is all a part of the exquisitely ingenious design, just like your body finding it’s way back to a normal temperature after an infection. Scientist and engineers have reversed engineered genomes and understand now that they are selfish.

Genes do not have minds, but they have attitude! This attitude promotes replication. They copy again and again and again. And then there is man, a creature that can understand all this and actually try and make sense of it. Our man can learn from his past mistakes, his ancestors, his culture, and his language.

John 3:8 reads The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit. It is okay if my genes are selfish. Christ died for my sins. His divine nature is united with my spirit. This is why I chose to let go of my flesh, and let God work his perfect art! Trying to solve this riddle of Desmond Morris’s claim is like trying to capture the wind.

No comments: