Wednesday, December 6, 2006

How do you know what is real and what is not?

How do you know what is real and what is not? Specifically, how do you know that dreams are only dreams and that there are no such things as ghosts? In answering these questions, draw upon and demonstrate some understanding of the views of George Berkeley and Rene Descartes.

Descartes believed that the body was material and the mind was immaterial. His thoughts were that humans were the only animals who use the spoken language. This kind of reminds me of the comedian Ron White. He states, (not word for word) you can get your eyes fixed to total perfection, have your teeth whitened to perfection, and have the most remarkable plastic surgery…….But, you can’t fix stupid!

Berkeley believed that all we know are our on sensations and ideas to be real. He believed this to be the “will of God.” This is called idealism. It is broken down into two different things. What we actually see is called “objective”. What someone else tells us is “subjective.” Nurses use this is writing their nurses notes daily.

Believing in your self, being drug-free, and having confidence in your skills and abilities is real. Dreams are important, even mire day-dreams. In order to have goals and to be able to select your destiny, you must have dreams. Who knows if sleep dreams or ghosts are real? I’ve never had a dream come true, nor seen a ghost. However, I do not doubt that for someone else, they aren’t real.

For me, my brain is all I am. I have a child and I am constantly, daily telling her to take good care of her mind because it is all she is. My main focus is to keep her drug-free, just as I have been my whole life.

1 comment:

Super Jooo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.